Monday, August 23, 2010

Watermelon



How does one know when a watermelon is ripe?  This is a rather large watermelon that my husband decided to pick before consulting with anyone...i.e. ME.  I am not sure that I KNOW how to tell when a watermelon is ready to pick, but I am pretty certain that they are ready when the stem is woody or cracking, not green, similar to winter squash.  Upon cutting into our homegrown beauty, we soon discovered that the mostly beige colored flesh was not sweet at all, but that it tasted like the whole thing was the flavor of the rind.  What a very disappointing experience this was for us.  Luckily, we do have another watermelon still on the vine that I do not intend to let anyone pick until I SAY it is ready!  If anyone out there reading this has a more confident opinion of when to pick a watermelon, please post your comments, as I do not wish to be disappointed a second time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment