Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Caterpillars and Moths


White Lined Sphinx Moth
As I arrived home with the children, one ran into the bathroom and exclaimed that a grasshopper was in the house!  Upon further examination, it was really just a moth, but a fairly large one.  We captured it in a jar and decided we wanted to know which type of caterpillar it had been.  As we googled large moths on the internet we came across a website listing moths and their larvae.  Our moth was identified as a white lined sphinx moth, and it's larvae, dreaded by many gardeners, as the tomato horn worm!  Does this mean I have more caterpillars on my tomato vines?  It looks like I have more work to do!
Tomato Horn Worm

Even the chickens were afraid to eat this monster of a worm I found a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment