Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Patty Pan Burritos


Green Tint Patty Pan Squash
This afternoon I had to come up with something the kids would eat, but thought I should do my duty as a mother also by sneaking something good in it for them.  I have prepared so many meals with squashes this summer and it is almost getting old!  Something I had not experimented much with is the Patty Pan Squash.  I had never heard of this before this season but was intrigued by it's adorable appearance so I had to plant some!  The first time I prepared it I quartered it and baked it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.  This time, however, the vegetable detectives were going to be inspecting the meal.  I started with a frying pan and a drizzle of olive oil.  Then I added chopped red onions and a clove of garlic.  After cooking them down a bit I added thinly sliced patty pan squash--enough to fill a few burritos--and some dashes of cumin.  I let it sauté and chopped it up some more in the pan with my spatula.  Then I put a scoop in a tortilla covered in mozzarella cheese and topped it with more cheese.  I folded it up and put it on my kids' plates.  Mmmm.  "Mom, are we having burritos for lunch?"  Yes.  We did.




1 comment:

  1. I am very lucky that Madeleine will eat any vegetable known to man. Well thank goodness, because I don't know what else she would eat being a vegetarian.

    I love the pictures of your garden, Michelle. Once we move, we are looking forward to plunking down some soil.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete