Monday, August 9, 2010

Eating Flowers?

I once heard that zucchini flowers were edible.  I decided to try them, and guess what?  They are a hit.  I had my children begging for more!  They won't eat their vegetables, but give them a flower and you're their best friend!  Try it!
After the squash forms, then you pick the flower. You remove the end along with the 'reproductive organs' inside the flower. I rinse them inside and out and fill them with grated mozzarella cheese or a chunk of string cheese. Twist the petals to seal closed. Then heat them. I have never tried it in the microwave because it seems the flower would be more soggy than crisp. I broil them in the oven, but try whatever works for you. I bet a leaf of fresh basil would be great stuffed inside as well!
Stuffed Zucchini Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment