Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Never Fail Bread Recipe

Per request by Rebecca, and since my whole neighborhood knows it already, I am posting my bread dough recipe. I use it for bread, rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, and scones. It's up to you, really.
My dear mother has been using the same recipe for years and so have I, since I was about 12, maybe earlier. Over the years I have altered ingredients and found that there are healthier substitutions that work. So here goes.

Whisk 1 egg in mixing bowl, or use 1/4 milled flax with 1 Tbsp. hot water for egg substitute and mix until gooey.
Add 1/4 c. shortening, veggie oil, or coconut oil.
Add 1/2 c. sugar, honey, Demerara, or whatever you prefer for sweetener.
Pour 4 c. piping hot water over it all and stir.
Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. yeast and let stand for 5 minutes to proof.
Add 2 tsp. salt.
1 cup at a time while mixing, add 10 cups of flour. If you choose to use a portion of wheat flour, use 3 Tbsp. yeast earlier.
Knead dough until incorporated, if hand kneading, turn 200 times. Let rise in greased bowl or on counter, covered with a damp cloth until double in size. Divide into quarters and shape into loaves. Place in greased bread pans and allow to rise to the top of the pan. Bake in preheated oven at 350 drgrees for approx. 24 minutes. Immediately dump loaves out of hot pans and cool. Do not allow to cool in pans or you will be sorry. Also, do not cut into loaves until cooled mostly through, as this causes the center to collapse into dough. Enjoy warm with butter and homemade jam. Mmmm mmmm good.


2 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a whole wheat cinnamon roll recipe. I've tried a few, but haven't found a good one yet. How does this turn out with using all whole wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know the answer to the too... perhaps she missed your comment. maybe this will send her another email. Good blog!!!

    ReplyDelete